Wednesday, August 16, 2006

To Protect the Heart

I was delivering mail one day, when a police officer that I have gotten to know a bit drove up to check on me. It was kind of strange seeing him in uniform, as we have seen each other in our civilian clothes on a number of occasions. We chatted for a minute, I told him I was doing ok, just very hot (which he could do nothing about) and he drove off. To me, he doesn't look all that impressive just as himself, but I noticed a difference in him, clothed in his uni. He looked.....bigger....more impressive, I guess, and I couldn't figure out why.

I delivered some more mail and stopped for my lunch break at a convenience store. There I saw another police officer and then it hit me (God does that a lot). The bullet proof vest!!! That's what made Tim look so big and impressive. That which is part of his uniform, intended to protect his heart and all the delicate organs, was the thing that made an impact on me. I then thought of all the delicate things that the armor protects, and how we had an officer about 10 years ago was hit by a richocheting bullet that entered his body vertically through his clavicle and ended up making a mess of him internally.

We are the same way. Before we were saved...on our own, we were not impressive. We walked the devil's ways, did his bidding and he was happy. But when we are brought into God's family by grace, through faith by a relationship with Jesus, we then become the devil's enemy. We no longer are to walk his ways and keep on doing the things we used to do. We serve a new master and that makes the old master angry. But God already knew this, and designed armor for each of us to wear each day. WE are still not impressive, but with this armor, God gives us the ability to withstand the attacks of our formidable foe and emerge victorious on the other side.

The scripture tells us in Eph 6 that there are key components of this armor and what each part is for. But the piece for consideration here is the breastplate of righteousness, which guards our hearts (and liver and bowels and so on). With a right heart, we then love God and DO right to others. The scripture tells us often that the heart is wicked (Jere 17:9) and we're to allow God to change it. But God has placed the responsibility of protecting our hearts squarely on us. Prov 4:23 says to "guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life." God wants the eyes of our hearts to be enlightened (Eph 1:18-19) so we can know what God has for us. And in our relationships, we're to guard our hearts, so that if we're married, we cherish and protect that and guard our hearts from distractions; and if we're single, that we keep our hearts in tune with God's heart so we can do what is right, in God's good time. We're to be wise as serpents but gentle as doves, not allowing our hearts to be fooled into relationships that will not honor the Father, but be open to what He is doing, so we don't miss out on a blessing.

May the cry of my heart be as David's in Psalm 51; "Create in me a clean heart, O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me!!" Lord, help us all to protect our hearts and keep them pure for You.

4 Comments:

At 9:11 PM, Blogger gg said...

Here's to not being fooled - amen to that!! The heart - what a delicate organ. May we guard our hearts and minds in Jesus to know the best He has for us and not disagree or argue with Him about it.

 
At 8:22 AM, Blogger CJ said...

I enjoy your insights. And how hard it is to guard our hearts without that armour.

 
At 8:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I enjoyed your insight on the heart. God gives us little gems that we can hold on to to get us through our week. May we all continually guard our hearts

 
At 9:42 AM, Blogger marybeth said...

you go, my love! nicely said. i am very very grateful for the covering of our Father, who makes the unimpressive acceptable. my prayer for us all is that he continues to guard and create clean hearts in us.

:()

 

Post a Comment

<< Home