Monday, August 14, 2006

Others can, you may not

Please pardon the...uh....earthy nature of this blog. The opening subject matter is for illustration purposes only. Thanks!

It is mating season for the doggies in the 'hood where I deliver mail. I have been charged by 2 testosterone enhanced doggies in the last 2 days and had to resort to chemical warfare to keep them at bay (mace can, part of the uniform). Today's encounter in another part of the hood, provided a valuable illustration to me about the heart and nature of all of us.

On Central Ave, there is a corner house where there are several dog pens, full of various kinds of dogs, and a few mutts tied up around the yard. There are probably 8 or 9 dogs at the house total. I heard a terrible barking--a mean, viscious snarling "I pity the fool" kind of bark, not a "woof, woof" kind, alerting the owner that someone was in the yard. I approached carefully to make sure the snarling dog was tied up. THEN I rounded the corner and there was my answer. A stray male doggie was getting into the scent (perfume, maybe?) of one of the girlie dogs tied to the laundry line pole, and quickly, uh, mounted his attack on her. (I think I faintly heard the female dog whistling the "Copulatin' Blues" or something like that... One of the pedigree dogs in the pen was going OUT of his ever-livin mind, because he wanted to get in on the fun that the stray dog was having, but the pen kept him from doing so. I went back to the truck to reload and took another look at the situation. The dogs who were in action were already finished and sharing a cigarette, then God made His point as I started on the next walking part (btw, that dog in the pen went nuts for the next 45 minutes!!!!)

We, as Christians, are like that dog in the pen. I've been there...my natural self would like to participate in the "fun" going on in the world, but God has established barriers, (a pen, so to speak), so I don't participate. Paul wrote in Galatians that the flesh and the spirit war against each other, so that you may not do the things you please (Gal 5:16-17). And what I have to remember about God establishing the barriers, is that He doesn't do it to kill our fun, but to protect us, because He loves us. He knows if we follow the foolish desires of our hearts, they will lead us off the narrow road that leads to God and eventually will kill us (Jere 17:9, Jas 1:13-15). There are things we just aren't supposed to do because God calls them wrong and they are harmful to us. For instance, stealing is wrong, according to the scripture and by doing it, we hurt others and ourselves. Abortion leaves at least one dead and at least one wounded. There are other things, like sex, that are totally good and beautiful when expressed in the proper context, but off limits in a big way until God's criteria are met. God allows the expression of physical intimacy, when He sees the covenant of marriage entered into. He then lifts the barriers, allowing full and passionate expression.

Sometimes, we see the rest of the world going ahead and doing what they want and "enjoying themselves." They're having a blast! And God does say that sin is pleasurable...for a season. This enjoyment is all they get. They'll answer for what they do, someday. Others can, because they want to, but we as God's children may not, until God lifts the barrier for us to participate, IF He ever lifts the barrier. It's hard to do right and live for Jesus, but the fruit of the Spirit includes goodness, faithfulness and self control...ours for the asking. The Apostle Paul knew this as well and encouraged us to not grow weary in well doing, but remember that we shall reap the good we've done, in due season...at just the right time, if we don't get weary and lose heart (Gal 6:9-10). We have to keep our focus going in the right direction and our hearts in tune to His.

Dogs (and dawgs) in the 'hood may do their thang, but I know that God has a life of fulness, fun and joy for me, as I commit myself to doing what is right, commit myself to the memory of and adherance to the scripture and following Him with all my heart.

1 Comments:

At 9:07 PM, Blogger gg said...

hmmm...very interesting

Wasn't sure where you were going with all that for a minute there, but I should have known better. Way to tie that all in. You have a way with analogies - wow.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home